As an experienced internet marketer, you already know the importance of social media. However, even some of the most experienced online marketers are only human and therefore make mistakes via social media now and then.
That’s why even though we have covered some of these simple do’s and don’ts in the past, I thought it was a good idea to rehash them in more of a brief format.
Here are 5 rules of social media that you should never forget. Consider them the holy grail if you will.
- The Customer is always right. – Never ever, I mean EVER fight with a customer in a public platform (you shouldn’t in a private one either). If one of your customers should happen to take to social media to complain about your service or product, avoid getting into an argument. You simply won’t win. Take steps to make the customer happy. After all that is Customer Service 101.
- What goes around comes around. – Give to others and you will receive more in return. Be sure to offer those that follow you something of value in return for their “reactions” (likes, follows, retweets, etc) on a regular basis. Watch what happens when you do.
- Know your numbers. – This is a biggie. How man people did you reach on Facebook this week? How man tweet impressions did you generate? Just like you should always know your numbers for your business as a whole, you should also know your analytics for your social media efforts.
- Evolve with the times. – Social media is always changing. You should always be constantly evolving and learning to stay up to date with those changes.
- Don’t try and be the king on all the platforms. – Yes, sure there is value in marketing on all of the various platforms available, but that doesn’t mean you HAVE to market on all of them or even SHOULD. Pick a handful, and give those your all.
Which social media platforms are working best for you? We would love to hear all about it in the comments below.