If you’re an email marketer, the first step in making money, whether you’re sending emails to your list or buying solo ads, is getting opens. In other words, your subject lines have to be appealing enough – or elicit enough curiosity – to get a click. Which subject lines get more opens? That depends on your niche…but during the holidays, just about every marketer can capitalize on consumer behavior to get more opens. And since Christmas is right around the corner, let’s look at some ways you can use this particular holiday to get higher open rates.
If you open up a typical email account during the Christmas season, what do you see? Personally, I see emails from retailers offering coupons and special holiday deals, and emails from any place where I’ve recently ordered, such as Amazon.com or Apple. Of course, I receive marketing emails as well. Let’s look at some examples from my personal inbox.
Here are some samples of shopping-specific emails:
- Your Amazon.com order (#323-9287474-9837464)
- Your Amazon.com order has shipped (#323-9287474-9837464)
- Shipping update for your Amazon.com order 323-9287474-9837464
- Your Amazon.com order of Blue Widgets has shipped!
- Your receipt from Apple Store
Consider how you can re-purpose these for your next mailing.
Here are some ideas:
- Your order (#2839982-239829-32)
- Shipping update for your order 2839982-239829-32
- Your website.com order of widgets is ready to ship!
- Your receipt from yourwebsite.com
Obviously, you’ll want to match the message inside to the subject line!
Let’s also look at some other holiday-inspired subject lines:
- 25% Off Select Fisher-Price
- Top Holiday Deals Week in the Baby Store
- Improve Your Child’s Future This Holiday
- Liane The Perfect Teacher Gift
- Your eGift Card is Enclosed
- Christmas Giveaway, No Pitch, High Value Webinar is TODAY!
- The Perfect Gift Delivered Instantly!
- Celebrate the Holidays with $30 Off MINI JAMBOX
- The Perfect Last Minute Gift
- It’s not too late to give the gift of Netflix!
- Last Day! Get Free 2-Day Shipping + a $20 Gift Code
- Happy Holidays – 72 Hour Lead Sale!
- Turn Holiday Shoppers Into Repeat Customers
- Best seller savings for the season
- 12 Days of Gifts: Free Music, Apps and More
- Holiday Apps & Games, Huggable Heroes, iTunes Radio, and More
How many ways can you think of to repurpose these subject lines? Place your ideas in the comments below.
Here are a few to get you started:
- 25% off select widgets
- The perfect (person in your niche) gift
- Your free gift is enclosed / Your free (niche) gift is enclosed
And how about just swiping these?
- The perfect gift delivered instantly!
- The perfect last minute gift
Often, the way to stand out in the inbox is to use something out-of-the-ordinary. However, during the holidays, it makes just as much sense to fit right in!
[If you found this post helpful, share it or tweet it.]